DIY African Red Tea TonerSaturday, October 20, 2012
|Image by: Winfried Bruenken|
Make Your Own
This recipe is a personal favorite of mine. It's inexpensive, easy to make and packed with free-radical fighting antioxidants, alpha hydroxy acids and zinc. All of which are necessary for getting and maintaining healthy, glowing skin! This is an excellent toner for anti-aging, reducing redness and helping to banish blemishes.
African Red Tea Toner
African Red TeaAfrican Red Tea or Rooibos (pronounced ROY-boss) has been used for centuries in South Africa. The tea is made from the leaves of Rooibos, a plant belonging the legume family. Rooibos contains 50% more antioxidants than green tea and has anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. These are ideal properties for reducing acne and eczema. Rooibos is also rich in the enzyme superoxide dismutase. This enzyme is necessary for the production of healthy skin cell regeneration and renewal. Superoxide dismutase also fights wrinkles by neutralizing the free radicals that cause them, making African Red Tea a valuable ingredient for anti-aging skin care products. To get the most out of African Red Tea, it's recommended to drink the tea regularly and apply it topically to the skin.
Apple Cider VinegarApple cider vinegar is rich in alpha hydroxy acids, these AHA's dissolve and slough away dead skin cells, helping to lighten age and sun spots, to reveal a brighter complexion and more even skin tone. It promotes blood circulation and balances the Ph of your skin, making it beneficial for all skin types. Apple cider vinegar is also a natural antiseptic and found to be an effective treatment for clearing acne. Apple cider vinegar is beneficial and recommended for use both internally and topically. We will explore the internal benefits in a separate article.
DIY African Red Tea Toner RecipeWhat you'll need:
- 1 Amber Glass Spray Bottle (I prefer a 2oz bottle)
- Water (Purified, Distilled or Spring Water)
- Rooibos Tea (Loose or Tea Bags)
- Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar
- Essential oils of your choice
How To Make
- Heat approximately 4oz of water.
- Add tea filled infuser or 2-3 tea bags to water, steep for 30 minutes.
- Add a splash of apple cider vinegar (I use 3-4 tbsp).
- Pour mixture into bottle.
- Add 6 drops of essential oils (I chose Lavender, Tea Tree Oil).
- Store in refrigerator to preserve freshness, it also makes it especially refreshing! *Lasts 1-2 months. But I prefer to make a fresh batch each month.
How To UseAfter cleansing, spritz face and/or cotton pad, apply all over face and neck. May also be used to cleanse other acne affected areas such as chest or back as needed.
I hope you found this recipe helpful, more to come in the future!