DIY Coconut Hot Oil Treatment For Dry HairWednesday, February 20, 2013
How Do Hot Oil Treatments Work?
Naturally nourishing oils are warmed and applied to dry or damp hair. Warming the oil allows it to penetrate the hair shaft, smooth the cuticle and replenish moisture to dry hair and scalp. Leaving it softer with a more lustrous shine.
Benefits Of Hot Oil Treatments
- Leaves Hair Feeling Healthier & Softer
- Reduces Frizz
- Adds Amazing Shine
- Revives Luster & Body
- Treats Dry Scalp & Dandruff
- Replenishes Moisture to Hair Shaft
- Detangles & Reduces Breakage
- Coconut Oil Reduces Protein Loss in Dry/Damaged Hair
How To Apply A Hot Oil Treatment
There are two basic methods of applying a hot oil treatment.
1. Pour oils into a small heat-safe jar or bottle, place in a bowl of hot water and wait a few minutes for oils to heat. Apply oils to dry or damp hair, saturate from root to ends and massage into scalp. Cover and leave on for desired amount of time.
2. Apply oils to dry or damp hair, saturate from root to ends and massage into scalp. Cover with a plastic cap and apply heat. You can use a hairdryer, sunlight or wrap a warm towel around your head. Leave on for desired amount of time. (I prefer this method for myself.)
Both options work, choose the method that works best for you.
How Long Does A Hot Oil Treatment Take?
Leave the treatment on your hair for at least 30 minutes. I typically leave it on 1-2 hours or longer. Some even prefer an all day or all night treatment.
How Often Should I Do A Hot Oil Treatment?
I aim for once a week or every other week. But it's up the individual, if your hair is relatively healthy, you may feel once a month is plenty.
Ready to treat your hair to a spa night? Let's get started!
Here's what you'll need...
Virgin Coconut Oil (I use Dr. Bronner's)
Cheap Plastic Shower Cap
Thick Lined Shower Cap
Heat Source (I prefer the hairdryer method)
Step 1: Apply coconut oil to dry or damp hair. Massage into scalp and saturate from root to ends.
Step 2: Cover with plastic cap and blow dry for 1-2 minutes. Gently warming the hair, allows the oil to penetrate and go to work smoothing the cuticle and replenishing moisture.
Step 3: Cover with thick, lined shower cap or a warm towel. The goal is to keep your hair warm and insulated. Your natural body heat should take over and help keep it warm for the remainder of the treatment. Relax for 1-2 hours while the treatment goes to work.
Times up and you're ready to shower?
Be sure to shampoo and rinse well, you don't want excess oil left in your hair.
Condition and style as usual.
The result: Silky soft hair with a more lustrous shine!
Ah, I always get a good laugh at my video stills.
You'd think I make all those funny faces on purpose or something.
Step-by-step instruction video.
Where I buy my ingredients:
Online at Vitacost.com
Get $10 OFF your first order here: Vitacost
Sign up and pass on the savings to friends and family. Vitacost prices beat paying retail any day!
Another great source for ingredients is Mountain Rose Herbs
Enjoy and I wish you many happy hair days ahead!!